Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgivin'

Well, first off we wanted to fry our turkey but soon realized after we borrowed the fryer from our bishop that it would be too costly for our budget this year. We didn't have a propane tank nor 3 gallons of peanut oil. We abandoned ship so to say. Instead, Jared found a yummy injection sauce on the internet for our turkey.
Last year it seemed Thanksgiving was a living nightmare so I decided that this year I would make the pies the Wednesday before. Perhaps things would run smoother. I did just that. We were scheduled to make a lemon meringue pie along with some sort of layered pumpkin pie. I made the lemon filling and Jared assisted with the meringue. I was hoping to have lots of it but it ended up being short on top of the pie. It still tasted good. I cannot say it was bad for the first time. I made the pumpkin layered pie and Jared really enjoyed it. I cannot say the same for myself. It tasted weird. I guess I am a traditional girl.
On Thursday all we had to do was make mashed potatoes, candied yams, roast the turkey, throw some Stovetop stuffing on the stove, and nuke some frozen mixed veggies. Oh, and Jared successfully made some really good half white flour and half whole wheat flour flaky rolls. They were absolutely delicious! Perhaps it was all the butter he lathered on there...
So our feast was a bit delayed but it all ran well. Needless to say we didn't eat so much that we were rolling on the floor.