Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fender bender




Well, on my way to a doctor's appointment in Northwest Austin on September 8th, I was approaching the freeway. It was my turn to merge with the oncoming traffic. I was just about to turn right to get on the access road to 183 when the guy behind me hit me! I didn't know how to feel but I do remember the first words out of my mouth, "You've got to be kidding me"!
Looking in the side mirror I saw plastic pieces flying in the air! Anyhow, there just happened to be an empty, dirt parking lot right after the turn and I pulled in there (they sell Christmas trees there in the winter). I was hoping this guy wasn't going to just ditch me (hit and run) and made sure that he followed me in.
He got out of his car and was apologizing the whole time and I began to feel bad for him. I knew his day was going badly so far. I asked him if he had insurance and he did. It is the law here to carry car insurance. So that was a plus. My neck and back were fine and he didn't hit me that hard but it did break part of the left tail light, bend the fender and dent my bumper along with scratching some paint off. I did depart from the seen after getting all the information from him and told him to try to have a good day regardless of what had just happened.
So all in all it was a total pain in the behind to have to go get it assessed as far as damage and then get estimates where to take it in to get fixed. The funny thing was that I never even thought to that we could pocket the cash and fix it ourselves! Jared did however. So we ordered a new tail light and the Wonderfully Talented Jared installed that and pushed out all the dents. He surprised me the next day! So at least it doesn't look totally ghetto now. Notice in the first picture the left side kind of mangled in. These are both after Jared removed the bumper to get the dent out.
Not only to mention that a few days before I had received a letter calling for a recall on my airbags that could be faulty. If there had to be an accident, he picked a good spot to hit! God's hand is always there each day. And we got our airbags fixed shortly afterward!

1 comment:

Lisa A. Smith said...

Nice repair job Jared! I'm glad you weren't hurt Kristen. Keep up the posts. I love to read them!