Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Fruits of Our Labors

I love to eat fruit. The first spring here in our house we decided to start a fruit orchard. We planted apples, pears, plums, peaches and figs. These last two years were very hot and dry and then this winter was very wet but cold. (The lowest measured was 7 degrees F). Long story short some of our trees did not make it. So we replaced them and added a few more. Now we have two appples (Gala and Mollies Delicious), one pear (kieffer) , two plums (Methly and Morris), two peaches (Flordaking and Harvester) and two figs (Texas Ever-bearing). I had some practice pruning them yesterday which turned out well for my first time. I hope to keep the trees tall enough so the deer don't get them and short enough so I can. Future trees on our list are: Paw Paw, Persimmon, Pomegranate and Apricots. We are also trying our luck with thornless blackberries and grapes.

2 comments:

Mrs. Wallace said...

I love this!! You know Benson & I have been focusing on self-reliance as much as possible. It would be nice to produce everything we need, but since I can't make cheese and grow my own wheat, we remain reliant on the industry :). Anyway, we want fruit trees-lots of them. Funny, I think both of us could've grown up on a farm.

LovelyLindsay said...

You are getting to be quite the farmer. Maybe you can give me some lessons when I get a chance to get out there. I think Kaden would enjoy it too.